Words: Danielle Williams
No matter how old I get, I still find nostalgia in the back-to-school craze. Although I’ve been out of school myself for many years, there’s still something about the slow end of summer, gearing up for a jam-packed fall season. I might not need new school supplies anymore, but sometimes I use this time to invest in new office supplies or rearrange parts of my home. As my summer garden stops producing, it feels like a natural transition to a new season and routine.
But before summer ends, I like to slow down and relish the peace that often comes with warmer days and longer nights. Whether you are actually going back to school or are in need of a fresh start, there are a few ways to prepare your mental and physical self. So instead of going back-to-school shopping, let’s explore some back-to-basics self-care and focus on entering autumn with a renewed sense of mind. Here are a few of my favorite ways to say goodbye to summer and give autumn a warm welcome.
1. Spend a day, an hour, or 20 minutes reading outside, either in the sun or underneath a shade tree. Let the sounds of nature swirl around you and soothe your soul while you transport your mind to a different time and place.
2. Practice yoga or meditate, either outside before the temperature rises or during the slow evening hours after the sun sets. Take this time to relax, unwind, and let your mind drift.
3. Make a sugar scrub and give your aching summer feet some care. Soak your feet for 20 minutes before scrubbing the calluses and tender spots with a homemade scrub containing sugar and the carrier oil of your choice, like olive oil, jojoba oil, or coconut oil.
4. Visit your local bookstore, record store, craft store, or what have you, and spend some time wandering every aisle. Look through the offerings without an agenda.
5. Put together a back-to-school care package for a loved one, whether a teacher, student, or parent. Gather heartfelt supplies to show the recipient you care and are rooting for a successful year.
Danielle Williams is the assistant senior managing editor for Stampington & Company. She lives in Orange County, California, with her husband, daughter, and opinionated cat, Holly Golighty.
One thought on “End of Summer Self-Care Ideas”
I have followed Willow and Sage for years and I consider all that you publish to be my favorite escape treat! I have traveled some and cannot always find your magazine except for Barnes and Noble book stores and once at Costco. I have not subscribed due to living in two places and traveling often. I look forward to collecting everything that you publish, including any additional publications that you recommend. Thank you for sharing your amazing talents!